Looking for an alternative to metal flatware?
This cute porcelain and ceramic flatware is a pretty good metal-free choice.
Check it out at CB2:
Leaching of Metals from Stainless Steel
- Iron, chromium and nickel were all found to leach into both alkaline and acidic foods and beverages, while none of the metals leached into distilled water.
- Leaching of iron, chromium and nickel was observed from both new and old utensils.
- Leaching of iron occurred in all foods.
- Leaching of nickel occurred in curd, fruit juice and pickle (more acid)
- Leaching of chromium occurred in milk, coffee, and tea (only slightly acid)